Subject: Re: [OMPI users] openMPI on Xgrid
From: Gus Correa (gus_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-03-30 15:06:00

Craig Tierney wrote:
> Jody Klymak wrote:
>> On Mar 30, 2010, at 11:12 AM, Cristobal Navarro wrote:
>>> i just have some questions,
>>> Torque requires moab, but from what i've read on the site you have to
>>> buy moab right?
>> I am pretty sure you can download torque w/o moab. I do not use moab,
>> which I think is a higher-level scheduling layer on top of pbs.
>> However, there are folks here who would know far more than I do about
>> these sorts of things.
>> Cheers, Jody
> Moab is a scheduler, which works with Torque and several other
> products. Torque comes with a basic scheduler, and Moab is not
> required. If you want more features but not pay for Moab, you
> can look at Maui.
> Craig

Just adding to what Craig and Jody said.
Moab is not required for Torque.

A small cluster with a few users can work well with
the basic Torque/PBS scheduler (pbs_sched),
and its first-in-first-out job policy.
An alternative is to replace pbs_sched with the
free Maui scheduler, if you need fine grained job control.

You can install both Torque and Maui from source code (available here, but it takes some work.

Some Linux distributions have Torque and Maui available as packages
through yum, apt-get, etc.
I would guess for the Mac you can get at least Torque through fink,
or not?

Gus Correa
Gustavo Correa
Palisades, NY, 10964-8000 - USA