Subject: Re: [OMPI users] openMPI on Xgrid
From: Gus Correa (gus_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-03-30 15:06:00

Craig Tierney wrote:
> Jody Klymak wrote:
>> On Mar 30, 2010, at 11:12 AM, Cristobal Navarro wrote:
>>
>>> i just have some questions,
>>> Torque requires moab, but from what i've read on the site you have to
>>> buy moab right?
>> I am pretty sure you can download torque w/o moab. I do not use moab,
>> which I think is a higher-level scheduling layer on top of pbs.
>> However, there are folks here who would know far more than I do about
>> these sorts of things.
>>
>> Cheers, Jody
>>

> Moab is a scheduler, which works with Torque and several other
> products. Torque comes with a basic scheduler, and Moab is not
> required. If you want more features but not pay for Moab, you
> can look at Maui.
>
> Craig

Hi

Just adding to what Craig and Jody said.
Moab is not required for Torque.

A small cluster with a few users can work well with
the basic Torque/PBS scheduler (pbs_sched),
and its first-in-first-out job policy.
An alternative is to replace pbs_sched with the
free Maui scheduler, if you need fine grained job control.

You can install both Torque and Maui from source code (available here
http://www.clusterresources.com/), but it takes some work.

Some Linux distributions have Torque and Maui available as packages
through yum, apt-get, etc.
I would guess for the Mac you can get at least Torque through fink,
or not?

Gus Correa
Gustavo Correa
Palisades, NY, 10964-8000 - USA