Subject: [OMPI users] Questions on /tmp/openmpi-sessions-userid directory
From: Gijsbert Wiesenekker (gijsbert.wiesenekker_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-03-07 04:55:14

I was having non-reproducible hangs in an OpenMPI program. While troubleshooting this problem I found that there were many temporary directories in my /tmp/openmpi-sessions-userid directory (probably the result of MPI_Abort aborted OpenMPI programs). I cleaned those directories up and it looks like the hangs have gone.
My questions are:
It looks like the name of the temporary directory in /tmp/openmpi-sessions-userid directory is a process-id. What happens when an OpenMPI program starts and the temporary directory in /tmp/openmpi-sessions-userid already exists?
Could existing temporary directories in /tmp/openmpi-sessions-userid cause an OpenMPI program to hang?
Is there a way to ensure that the temporary directory created in /tmp/openmpi-sessions-userid is always removed after an OpenMPI program has run?

Regards,
Gijsbert