Subject: Re: [OMPI users] Problems building Open MPI 1.4.1 with Pathscale
From: Jeff Squyres (jsquyres_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-02-09 08:49:07

FWIW, I have had terrible luck with the patschale compiler over the years. Repeated attempts to get support from them -- even when I was a paying customer -- resulted in no help (e.g., a pathCC bug with the OMPI C++ bindings that I filed years ago was never resolved).

Is this compiler even supported anymore? I.e., is there a support department somewhere that you have a hope of getting any help from?

I can't say for sure, of course, but if MPI hello world hangs, it smells like a compiler bug. You might want to attach to "hello world" in a debugger and see where it's hung. You might need to compile OMPI with debugging symbols to get any meaningful information.

** NOTE: My personal feelings about the pathscale compiler suite do not reflect anyone else's feelings in the Open MPI community. Perhaps someone could change my mind someday, but *I* have personally given up on this compiler. :-(

On Feb 8, 2010, at 2:38 AM, Rafael Arco Arredondo wrote:

> Hello,
>
> It does work with version 1.4. This is the hello world that hangs with
> 1.4.1:
>
> #include <stdio.h>
> #include <mpi.h>
>
> int main(int argc, char **argv)
> {
> int node, size;
>
> MPI_Init(&argc,&argv);
> MPI_Comm_rank(MPI_COMM_WORLD, &node);
> MPI_Comm_size(MPI_COMM_WORLD, &size);
>
> printf("Hello World from Node %d of %d.\n", node, size);
>
> MPI_Finalize();
> return 0;
> }
>
> El mar, 26-01-2010 a las 03:57 -0500, Åke Sandgren escribió:
> > 1 - Do you have problems with openmpi 1.4 too? (I don't, haven't built
> > 1.4.1 yet)
> > 2 - There is a bug in the pathscale compiler with -fPIC and -g that
> > generates incorrect dwarf2 data so debuggers get really confused and
> > will have BIG problems debugging the code. I'm chasing them to get a
> > fix...
> > 3 - Do you have an example code that have problems?
>
> --
> Rafael Arco Arredondo
> Centro de Servicios de Informática y Redes de Comunicaciones
> Universidad de Granada

For corporate legal information go to: