Subject: Re: [OMPI users] speed up this problem by MPI
From: Eugene Loh (Eugene.Loh_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-01-29 11:06:14

Tim wrote:

>Sorry, my typo. I meant to say OpenMPI documentation.

Okay. "Open (space) MPI" is simply an implementation of the MPI
standard -- e.g., http://www.mpi-forum.org/docs/mpi21-report.pdf . I
imagine an on-line search will turn up a variety of tutorials and
explanations of that standard. But the standard, itself, is somewhat
readable.

>How to send/recieve and broadcast objects of self-defined class and of std::vector? If using MPI_Type_struct, the setup becomes complicated if the class has various types of data members, and a data member of another class.

I don't really know any C++, but I guess you're looking at it the right
way. That is, use derived MPI data types and "it's complicated".

>How to deal with serialization problems?

Which serialization problems? You seem to have a split/join problem.
The master starts, at some point there is parallel computation, then the
masters does more work at the end.