Subject: Re: [OMPI users] mpirun with WMI on Windows 7
From: Shiqing Fan (fan_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-01-29 03:56:49

Hi Charles,

You don't need to install anything, but just a few security setting has
to be correctly configured. Here are two links might be helpful (will be
added into README.WINDOWS too):
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa393266(VS.85).aspx
http://community.spiceworks.com/topic/578

On the other hand, in order to check if WMI is working between the
nodes, you can try with command:

     C:\>wmic /node:192.168.0.1 /user:username process call create
notepad.exe

the ip has to be the remote computer ip address, and the user name is
which you use on remote computer. This command line will simply launch a
non-interactive notepad (no GUI) on remote node using WMI, if it is
successful, you should be able to see a notepad process in Task Manager
or Process Viewer, and that also means mpirun will work through WMI.

Could you check with the above command, and possibly tell me the return
value, so that I can help you to make it work.

Regards,
Shiqing

Charles Shuller wrote:
> When attempting to launch an application on both local and remote
> windows7 hosts, mpirun either hangs indefinately or abends.
>
> The application executes correctly on both machines, when only launched
> on a single host.
>
> I believe mpirun is using WMI, README.WINDOWS indicates that this is the
> case if I don't have the CCP toolkit and SDK installed, which I don't.
> Additionally, I have encountered and resolved some security issues
> following this assumption.
>
> Any advice is welcome. I'm not married to WMI, so if the solution is
> "install something else" I'm great with that.
>

> Thanks!
>
> Charles

Shiqing Fan                          http://www.hlrs.de/people/fan
High Performance Computing           Tel.: +49 711 685 87234
  Center Stuttgart (HLRS)            Fax.: +49 711 685 65832
Address:Allmandring 30               email: fan_at_[hidden]
70569 Stuttgart