Subject: [OMPI users] Trapping fortran I/O errors leaving zombie mpi processes
From: Laurence Marks (L-marks_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-01-28 10:57:45

I am trying to find out if there is any way to create an error-handler
or something else that will trap an error exit from the run-time
library due to a fortran I/O error, or possibly some openmpi calls or
options that will do the same thing.

Let me expand a little. I am working with a very larger fortran 90
code written by many people that uses mpi. While some of the
read/write statements have an ERR= in them, not all do and it is a big
job to add this to everyone (and not miss some). With some flavors of
mpi (openmpi is one) if one process encounters an I/O error that
process will crash, and the other ones can hang because no
termination/abort signal is sent to them – this seems to be
implementation dependent.

I have added some c/icc signal handlers and while these work and can
be used to send an mpi_abort signal, none of them catch a fortran I/O
error.

--
Laurence Marks
MSE Rm 2036 Cook Hall