Subject: [OMPI users] Trapping fortran I/O errors leaving zombie mpi processes
From: Laurence Marks (L-marks_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-01-28 10:57:45

I am trying to find out if there is any way to create an error-handler
or something else that will trap an error exit from the run-time
library due to a fortran I/O error, or possibly some openmpi calls or
options that will do the same thing.

Let me expand a little. I am working with a very larger fortran 90
code written by many people that uses mpi. While some of the
read/write statements have an ERR= in them, not all do and it is a big
job to add this to everyone (and not miss some). With some flavors of
mpi (openmpi is one) if one process encounters an I/O error that
process will crash, and the other ones can hang because no
termination/abort signal is sent to them – this seems to be
implementation dependent.

I have added some c/icc signal handlers and while these work and can
be used to send an mpi_abort signal, none of them catch a fortran I/O

Laurence Marks
MSE Rm 2036 Cook Hall
2220 N Campus Drive
Northwestern University
Evanston, IL 60208, USA
Tel: (847) 491-3996 Fax: (847) 491-7820
email: L-marks at northwestern dot edu
Chair, Commission on Electron Crystallography of IUCR
Electron crystallography is the branch of science that uses electron
scattering and imaging to study the structure of matter.