Subject: Re: [OMPI users] ABI stabilization/versioning
From: Dave Love (d.love_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-01-26 06:21:48

Jeff Squyres <jsquyres_at_[hidden]> writes:

> To be absolutely crystal clear: OMPI's MPI shared libraries now have
> .so versioning enabled, but you still can't install two copies of Open
> MPI into the same $prefix (without overriding a bunch of other
> directory names, that is, like $pkglibdir, etc.). This is because
> Open MPI has a bunch of files that are not named in relation to OMPI's
> version number (e.g., $includedir/mpi.h, $mandir/man3/*, $pkgdir/*,
> libopen-rte.so, etc.). That is, the lack of .so versioning in
> libopen-rte and libopen-pal are only two of (unfortunately) many
> reasons that you can't install 2 different versions of Open MPI into
> the same $prefix.

I'd normally expect to install in parallel directories under /opt, in
which case that's not really a problem.

> Does that make sense?

Not all, without looking at the link, but I'm glad it is being dealt
with, thanks.

> Check out our wiki page about the shared library version numbering:
> https://svn.open-mpi.org/trac/ompi/wiki/ReleaseProcedures.

Thanks. Maybe that will indicate how I missed the relevant libtool
stuff.

> Do the links and text I provided above give you enough information /
> rationale?

If not, I'll follow up when I have time. Thanks for dealing with it.