Subject: Re: [OMPI users] configure script fails - fixed?
From: Jeff Squyres (jsquyres_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-01-14 11:36:29

On Jan 14, 2010, at 11:22 AM, von Tycowicz, Christoph wrote:

> I just compiled the most recent version of the GNU compilers (4.4.2).
> It turned out that running the configure script succeeds providing:
> ./configure --prefix=/opt/openmpi F77=/opt/gcc/lib/gcc4.4/bin/gfortran FC=/opt/gcc/lib/gcc4.4/bin/gfortran
>
> Note that I did not changed the c/c++ compilers - as soon as I changed them to the new /opt/gcc/lib/gcc4.4/bin/gcc the script would declare them as broked, just as it did with gfortran.
> (This is also true if I provide the shipped 4.2.1 version of gcc.)
>
> So far everything seams to work but i think this solution is rather kludgy.

I'm not sure what to tell you -- OMPI's configure script was simply trying to compile a trivial Fortran program just to verify that the compiler works (we had so many users with borked Fortran compilers that we put this test in configure). Here's the detailed part from config.log:

-----
configure:35493: checking if Fortran 77 compiler works
configure:35553: gfortran -o conftest conftest.f >&5
Undefined symbols:
  "__gfortran_set_options", referenced from:
      _main in cccpfkqB.o
ld: symbol(s) not found
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
configure:35557: $? = 1
configure: program exited with status 1
configure: failed program was:
| program main
|
| end
configure:35590: result: no
configure:35604: error: Could not run a simple Fortran 77 program. Aborting.
-----

That is, the contents of conftest.f were

       program main

       end

And trying to compile that with your previous gfortran didn't work (see the linker error above). I'm not sure why your other programs compiled fine, but something caused OMPI's configure script to fail compiling/linking this trivial Fortran program. That was the cause of the problem.