Subject: Re: [OMPI users] Pointers for understanding failure messages on NetBSD
From: Kevin.Buckley_at_[hidden]
Date: 2009-12-08 16:28:45

Cc: to the OpenMPI list as the oftdump clash might be of interest

> I attach a patch, but it doesn't work and I don't see where the
> error lies now. It may be that I'm doing something stupid.
> It produces working OpenMPI-1.3.4 package on Dragonfly though.

Ok, I'll try and merge it in to the working stuff we have here.
I, obviously, just #ifdef'd for NetBSD as that is all I have to
try stuff out against.

> Kevin, I've tried your chunk but it doesn't make any better.
> Do you really have working OpenMPI on NetBSD?

Oh yes!

This was the output from a slightly modified hello_c.c that I ran
against my non-PkgSrc build a couple of days ago

% cat
Hello world, I am 0 of 8 on
Hello world, I am 2 of 8 on
Hello world, I am 4 of 8 on
Hello world, I am 1 of 8 on
Hello world, I am 6 of 8 on
Hello world, I am 3 of 8 on
Hello world, I am 7 of 8 on
Hello world, I am 5 of 8 on

Note the EIGHT different hosts there - so it is working on NetBSD !

I am currently installing the PkgSrc build, having prevented the
install binary clash, and will post the results of that soon.

I have placed the tar of current patches from our PkgSrc build in

in case you want to try something out from an actual NetBSD build.

How does your installtion fail ?

> (What conflict do you observe with pkgsrc-wip package by the way?)

That was detailed in another email but basically the Open Trace Format
that the Vampire Trace (VT) stuff is looking to install tries to install:

and that binary is already installed there as part of another

You can get around this for a NetBSD OpenMPI deployment by adding this
patch to the PkgSrc Makefile which just removes the VT toolkit:

> CONFIGURE_ARGS+= --enable-contrib-no-build=vt

I have no idea how NetBSD go about resolving such clashes in the long
term though?

I repeat the info from my previous email:

# pkg_info -F /usr/pkg/bin/otfdump
Information for libotf-0.9.9:

Library for handling OpenType fonts (OTF)

Required by:

The library "libotf" provides the following facilites.

    o Read Open Type Layout Tables from OTF file. Currently these
      tables are supported; head, name, cmap, GDEF, GSUB, and GPOS.

    o Convert a Unicode character sequence to a glyph code sequence by
      using the above tables.

The combination of libotf and the FreeType library (Ver.2) realizes
CTL (complex text layout) by OpenType fonts.

Kevin M. Buckley                                  Room:  CO327
School of Engineering and                         Phone: +64 4 463 5971
 Computer Science
Victoria University of Wellington
New Zealand