Subject: Re: [OMPI users] Mimicking timeout for MPI_Wait
From: Number Cruncher (number.cruncher_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-12-08 05:14:09

Whilst MPI has traditionally been run on dedicated hardware, the rise of
cheap multicore CPUs makes it very attractive for ISVs such as ourselves
(http://www.cambridgeflowsolutions.com/) to build a *single* executable
that can be run in batch mode on a dedicated cluster *or* interactively
on a user's workstation.

Once you've taken the pain of writing a distributed-memory app (rather
than shared-memory/multithreaded), MPI provides a transparent API to
cover both use cases above. *However*, at the moment, the lack of
select()-like behaviour (instead of polling) means we have to write
custom code to avoid hogging a workstation. A runtime-selectable
mechanism would be perfect!

Is there any formal mechanism for garnering whether there is a wider
appetite for such functionality amongst Open MPI users?