Subject: Re: [OMPI users] OpenMPI without IPoIB
From: Don Kerr (Don.Kerr_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-11-25 13:03:12

On 11/25/09 02:04, Vivek Satpute wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I tried to execute OpenMPI examples from OFED-1.4 stack and found that
> all those
> examples uses IPoIB.
How are you determining that it is using IPoIB?

> Is there any way to execute MPI applications on only Infiniband stack
> i.e. without
> using IPoIB module ?
> Can we execute MPI applications using libibverbs, librdma, or some
> other libraries ?
OpenMPI by default will select and use the best available path. If the
ibverbs interace is available and operational OpenMPI will use this for
off-node MPI communication. If you are concerned that ibverbs is not in
use specifically calling it out on the mpirun command line will assure
you that it is being used, e.g. "mpirun --mca btl self,sm,openib ....
". This command will instruct OpenMPI to use shared memory for on node
communication and openib (ibverbs), for off-node communication.

-DON