Subject: Re: [OMPI users] segmentation fault: Address not mapped
From: Jed Brown (jed_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-11-23 13:55:18

On Mon, 23 Nov 2009 10:39:28 -0800, George Bosilca <bosilca_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> In the case of Open MPI we use pointers, which are different than int
> on most cases

I just want to comment that Open MPI's opaque (to the user) pointers are
significantly better than int because it offers type safety. That is,
the compiler can distinguish between MPI_Comm, MPI_Group, MPI_Status,
MPI_Op, etc., and warn you if you mix them up. When they are all
typedef'd to int, you get no such warnings, and instead just get runtime
errors/crashes.

> (btw int is what MPICH is using I think).

It is.

Jed