Subject: [OMPI users] configuration settings for Mac OSX
From: Jurgen Heymann (juheymann_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-11-23 12:51:03

Dear Users,

I am trying to understand what parameters are essential to include when running ./configure with openmpi-1.3.3 when working with Mac using PPC (OS 10.4) or Intel platform (OS 10.5). What compilers and settings work best for the individual platforms (HFS+) and lead to robust installations?

Fact is that I can build openmpi rather easily using ./configure --prefix=path_to_location on any of the mentioned platforms. Test on the package-provided examples work without flaw. However, building mpiblast-1.6 using openmpi fails on either platform (clean, no mpi alternatives present). Error messages indicate that certain functions provided within openmpi are not defined e.g., MPI::Datatype::Free() and MPI::WIN::Free().

After consulting archives from mpiblast and openmpi and trying various settings, I cannot arrive at a solution that works. A similar problem had been presented on mpiblast-listserv but without conclusions aside from pointing to openmpi as the potential source. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Jurgen