Subject: Re: [OMPI users] System hang-up on MPI_Reduce
From: Ralph Castain (rhc_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-11-10 16:57:31

Yeah, that is "normal". It has to do with unexpected messages.

When you have procs running at significantly different speeds, the
various operations get far enough out of sync that the memory consumed
by recvd messages not yet processed grows too large.

Instead of sticking barriers into your code, you can have OMPI do an
internal sync after every so many operations to avoid the problem.
This is done by enabling the "sync" collective component, and then
adjusting the number of operations between forced syncs.

Do an "ompi_info --params coll sync" to see the options. Then set the
coll_sync_priority to something like 100 and it should work for you.

Ralph