Subject: Re: [OMPI users] Distribute app over open mpi
From: Terry Frankcombe (terry_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-11-07 01:49:33

On Fri, 2009-11-06 at 08:10 -0800, Arnaud Westenberg wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Sorry for the newbie question, but I'm having a hard time finding the answer, as I'm not even familiar with the terminology...
>
> I've setup a small cluster on Ubuntu (hardy) and everything is working great, including slurm etc. If I run the well known 'Pi' program I get the proper results returned from all the nodes.
>
> However, I'm looking for a way such that I wouldn't need to install the application on each node, nor on the shared nfs. Currently I get the obvious error that the app is not found on the nodes on which it isn't installed.
>
> The idea is that the master node would thus distribute the required (parts of the) program to the slave nodes so they can perform the assigned work.
>
> Reason is that I want to run an FEA package on a much larger (redhat) cluster we currently use for CDF calculations. I really don't want to mess up the cluster as we bought it already configured and compiling new versions of the FEA package on it turns out to be a missing library nightmare.

I don't understand the question. Do you have a binary that works on
your new cluster or not? I just don't see how recompiling the code fits
with the rest of the question. If you have an OpenMPI-linked binary for
your FEA, simply copy it out to your nodes, then run it. There are many
ways to do this: which is best depends on many factors. Probably scp is
your friend if you don't have a common filesystem.