Subject: Re: [OMPI users] MPI-3 Fortran feedback
From: Nifty Tom Mitchell (niftyompi_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-10-27 16:40:16

On Mon, Oct 26, 2009 at 09:12:24AM -0400, Jeff Squyres wrote:
> On Oct 25, 2009, at 11:38 PM, Steve Kargl wrote:
>> There is currently a semi-heated debate in comp.lang.fortran
>> concerning co-arrays and the upcoming Fortran 2008. Don't
>> waste your time trying to decipher the thread; however, there
>> appear to be a few knowledgable MPI Fortaners hang-out, lately.
>> Would Craig mind if I relay the above to c.l.f.? Of course,
>> if Craig prefers not to veer into USENET, I can understand
>> his decision.
> The more feedback that we get, the better -- I don't have the cycles to
> read usenet, unfortunately. I don't know if Craig does (but I suspect
> that he does not). If they can reply here, on the blog post, or directly
> on the MPI-3 Fortran working group mailing list (linked to on the blog),
> that would be awesome.

If I recall correctly the OMPI build does not generate a full Fortran
<--> C mapping of all types for all functions. Was the reason that the
resulting library has too many permutations and symbols to test, build and
link to.

While not a co-array related comment is there a way to generate
the necessary bindings on the fly and facilitate stronger type
checking and perhaps open the door for richer optimizations
from the compiler folk.

Will Fortran 2008 revisit some of these issues in a problematic way?
Or is this such old news that folk just live with it?