Subject: Re: [OMPI users] memchecker overhead?
From: Brock Palen (brockp_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-10-26 15:35:41

On Oct 26, 2009, at 3:29 PM, Jeff Squyres wrote:

> On Oct 26, 2009, at 3:23 PM, Brock Palen wrote:
>
>> Is there a large overhead for
>> --enable-debug --enable-memchecker?
>>

> --enable-debug, yes, there is a pretty large penalty. --enable-
> debug is really only intended for Open MPI developers. If you just
> want an OMPI that was compiled with debugging symbols, then just add
> -g to the CFLAGS/CXXFLAGS in OMPI's configure, perhaps like this:

Interesting, we were just looking at the memchecker functionality and
don't want to double the number of MPI builds we offer. In the Debugg
FAQ section 10
http://www.open-mpi.org/faq/?category=debugging#memchecker_how

It says you need --enable-debug to use --enable-memchecker, is this
really the case then?