Subject: Re: [OMPI users] Any way to make "btl_tcp_if_exclude" option system wide?
From: Eugene Loh (Eugene.Loh_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-10-22 11:12:20

Mike Hanby wrote:

>My users are having to use this option with mpirun, otherwise the jobs will normally fail with a 111 communication error:
>--mca btl_tcp_if_exclude lo,eth1
>Is there a way for me to set that MCA option system wide, perhaps via an environment variable so that they don't have to remember to use it?
Yes. Maybe you want to use a system-wide configuration file. I don't
know where this is "best" documented, but it is at least discussed in
the Sun HPC ClusterTools User Guide. (ClusterTools is an Open MPI
distribution.) E.g.,
. Look at Chapter 7. The section "Using MCA Parameters as Environment
Variables" starts on page 69, but I'm not sure environment variables are
really the way to go. I think you want section "To Specify MCA
Parameters Using a Text File", on page 71. The file would look like this:

% cat $OPAL_PREFIX/lib/openmpi-mca-params.conf
btl_tcp_if_exclude = lo,eth1

where $OPAL_PREFIX is where users will be getting OMPI. I'm not 100%
sure on the name of that file, but need to run right now.