Subject: Re: [OMPI users] Making RPM from source that respects --prefix
From: Jeff Squyres (jsquyres_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-10-08 07:46:42

On Oct 7, 2009, at 9:36 PM, Bill Johnstone wrote:

> Thank you for your responses. Based on the information you both
> provided, I was able to get buildrpm to make the OMPI RPM the way I
> wanted. I ended up having to define _prefix , _mandir , and
> _infodir .

Ah, yes -- _mandir and _infodir. Sorry; I should have mentioned
those, but I always forget that some distros don't automatically put
those dirs under _prefix. Sigh.

> Additionally, I found I had to use --define "shell_scripts_basename
> mpivars" because without that, when I tried to use mpi-selector, mpi-
> selector did not find the installation since it specifically seems
> to look for the shell scripts as mpivars.{sh,csh} rather than
> mpivars-1.3.3.{sh,csh} as the .spec file builds. I think the .spec
> file should be changed to match what mpi-selector expects.

The intent of putting the version string at the end of the shell
script names was to allow them to co-exist with other Open MPI
installs in the same tree. In hindsight, that seems a little silly,
because the scripts are installed in bindir -- where you can clearly
only have 1 Open MPI installed at a time. I'll fix.

> Jeff, it might also be really useful to have a .spec build option to
> allow the RPM to register itself as the system default. I hand-
> modified the .spec file to do this. Please let me know if I should
> register a feature request somewhere more formally.

Sure, that sounds reasonable. What --define option did you add for
it? Something like --define "mpi_selector_default 1" that causes --
system to be added to the mpi-selector command lines in %post and
%preun?