Subject: Re: [OMPI users] OpenMPI on OS X - file is not of required architecture
From: Jeff Squyres (jsquyres_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-09-11 17:10:26

On Sep 11, 2009, at 10:05 AM, Andreas Haselbacher wrote:

> I've built openmpi version 1.3.3 on a MacPro with OS X 10.5.8 and
> the Intel 10.1.006 Fortran compiler and gcc 4.0. As far as I can
> tell, the configure and make commands completed fine. There are some
> warnings, but it's not clear to me that they are critical - or the
> explanation for what's not working. After installing, I try to
> compile a simple F77 hello world code. The output is:
>
> % mpif77 helloworld_mpi.f -o helloworld_mpi
> ld: warning in /opt/openmpi/lib/libmpi_f77.a, file is not of
> required architecture

This means that it skipped that library because it didn't match what
you were trying to compile against.

Can you send the output of mpif77 --showme?

> Undefined symbols:
> "_mpi_init_", referenced from:
> _MAIN__ in ifortIsUNoZ.o

None of these symbols were found because libmpi_f77.a was skipped.

> Here's my configure command:
>
> ./configure --prefix=/opt/openmpi --enable-static --disable-shared
> CC=gcc CFLAGS=-m64 CXX=g++ CXXFLAGS=-m64 F77=ifort FC=ifort FFLAGS=-
> assume nounderscore FCFLAGS=-assume nounderscore

I do not have the intel compilers for Mac; do they default to
producing 64 bit objects? I ask because it looks like you forced the
C and C++ compilers to produce 64 bit objects -- do you need to do the
same with ifort? (via the FCFLAGS and FFLAGS env variables)

Also, did you quote the "-assume nounderscore" arguments to FFLAGS/
FCFLAGS? I.e., something like this:

     "FFLAGS=-assume nounderscore"