Subject: Re: [OMPI users] undefined symbol error when built as asharedlibrary
From: Jeff Squyres (jsquyres_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-09-11 07:55:31

On Sep 11, 2009, at 7:26 AM, Reuti wrote:

> > OMPI's --disable-dlopen configure option has Open MPI build in a
> > different way.
>
> Aha - this might also explain what I faced some time ago. I tried to
> compile an application called Molpro with GlobalArrays which I
> compiled with Open MPI. I faced similar errors - the compilation
> worked without any problem, but I couldn't run the application, as it
> resulted in a similar error. Finally I gave up and stayed with mpich
> (1) for this.

IMHO (and knowing very little about how linkers actually work), the
problem is with linker namespaces. If they could be inherited (e.g.,
a *tree* of scopes could be private), then things might work. It
would probably be interesting to sit down with a run-time linker
developer sometime and ask about this (I know that linkers are
fantastically complicated; there might be Good reasons why such a
scheme doesn't already exist).