Subject: Re: [OMPI users] Fwd: vista+cygwin+openmpi
From: Shiqing Fan (fan_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-09-06 12:18:57

Hi Jeff,

> I'm trying to install openmpi under cygwin on windows vista, 32 bit version.

It's very difficult to build Open MPI under cygwin, there was a thread
talking about this before. See:
http://www.open-mpi.org/community/lists/users/2008/11/7294.php

> Is there a version of openmpi that works under cygwin on windows vista?

It should work, but the build process is complex and time consuming. I
wouldn't recommend it.

> Is there a version of openmpi that works under windows vista in some
> other environment?

Yes, with CMake and Visual Studio.
> If the answer to either of these is yes, is there a set of
> instructions that applies to this isntallation?

Please check the wiki page with detailed instructions of using it :
https://svn.open-mpi.org/trac/ompi/wiki/WindowsPort#HowtobuildOpenMPIonWindowsusingCMake

> Does openmpi require cygserver?

If build with CMake, it doesn't use SSH or RSH for launching remote
process, so cygserver is not necessary.

> Does cygserver work under windows vista?

I don't know about this. Sorry.

Hope this would help.

Best Regards,
Shiqing

> --Jeff Brown

Shiqing Fan                          http://www.hlrs.de/people/fan
High Performance Computing           Tel.: +49 711 685 87234
  Center Stuttgart (HLRS)            Fax.: +49 711 685 65832
Address:Allmandring 30               email: fan_at_[hidden]
70569 Stuttgart