Subject: Re: [OMPI users] mca_pml_ob1_send blocks
From: Shaun Jackman (sjackman_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-08-31 17:05:54

Jeff Squyres wrote:
> On Aug 26, 2009, at 10:38 AM, Jeff Squyres (jsquyres) wrote:
>
>> Yes, this could cause blocking. Specifically, the receiver may not
>> advance any other senders until the matching Irecv is posted and is
>> able to make progress.
>
> I should clarify something else here -- for long messages where the
> pipeline protocol is used, OB1 may need to be invoked repeatedly to
> keep making progress on all the successive fragments. I.e., if a send
> is long enough to entail many fragments, then OB1 may (read: likely
> will) not progress *all* of them simultaneously. Hence, if you're
> calling MPI_Test(), for example, to kick the progress engine, you may
> have to call it a few times to get *all* the fragments processed.
>
> How many fragments are processed in each call to progress can depend
> on the speed of your hardware and network, etc.

Hi Jeff,

Looking at the source code of MPI_Request_get_status, it...
calls OPAL_CR_NOOP_PROGRESS()
returns true in *flag if request->req_complete
calls opal_progress()
returns false in *flag

What's the difference between OPAL_CR_NOOP_PROGRESS() and
opal_progress()? If the request has already completed, does it mean
that since opal_progress() is not called, no further progress is made?

Thanks,
Shaun