Subject: Re: [OMPI users] Automated tuning tool
From: Edgar Gabriel (gabriel_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-08-07 17:55:03

Gus Correa wrote:
> Terry Frankcombe wrote:
>> There's been quite some discussion here lately about the effect of OMPI
>> tuning parameters, particularly w.r.t. collectives.
>>
>> Is there some tool to probe performance on any given network/collection
>> of nodes to aid optimisation of these parameters?
>>
>> (I'm thinking something along the philosophy of ATLAS.)

> Hi Terry
>
> We are also looking for this holy grail.
>
> So far I found this 2008 reference to a certain
> "Open Tool for Parameter Optimization (OTPO)":
>
> http://www.springerlink.com/content/h5162153l184r7p0/
>
> OTPO defines itself as this:
>
> "OTPO systematically tests large numbers of combinations of Open MPI’s
> run-time tunable parameters for common communication patterns and
> performance metrics to determine the “best” set for a given platform."

you can checkout the OTPO code at

http://svn.open-mpi.org/svn/otpo/trunk/

It supports as of now netpipe and skampi collectives for tuning. It is
far from perfect, but it is a starting point. If there are any issues,
please let us know...

Thanks
Edgar

> However, I couldn't find any reference to the actual code or scripts,
> and whether it is available, tested, free, downloadable, etc.
>
> At this point I am doing these performance
> tests in a laborious and inefficient manual way,
> when I have the time to do it.
>
> As some of the aforementioned article authors
> are list subscribers (and OpenMPI developers),
> maybe they can shed some light about OTPO, tuned collective
> optimization, OpenMPI runtime parameter optimization, etc.
>
> IMHO, this topic deserves at least a FAQ.
>
> Developers, Jeff: Any suggestions? :)
>
> Many thanks,
> Gus Correa

Edgar Gabriel
Assistant Professor
Parallel Software Technologies Lab      http://pstl.cs.uh.edu
Department of Computer Science          University of Houston
Philip G. Hoffman Hall, Room 524        Houston, TX-77204, USA
Tel: +1 (713) 743-3857                  Fax: +1 (713) 743-3335