Subject: Re: [OMPI users] Automated tuning tool
From: john casu (john_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-08-07 17:06:11

I'm not sure that there is a general "best set" of parameters, given the
dependence of that set on comms patterns, etc...

Still, this *is* a classic parameter sweep and optimization problem
(unlike ATLAS), with a small number of parameters, and is the sort of
thing one should be able to hook up fairly easily in a python script
connected to a batch scheduler. Especially since you'd be likely to
submit and run either a single job, or a number of equal sized jobs in

In fact, here is a python script that works with SGE

Now, you'd just have to choose the app, or apps that are important to you

Gus Correa wrote:
> Terry Frankcombe wrote:
>> There's been quite some discussion here lately about the effect of OMPI
>> tuning parameters, particularly w.r.t. collectives.
>> Is there some tool to probe performance on any given network/collection
>> of nodes to aid optimisation of these parameters?
>> (I'm thinking something along the philosophy of ATLAS.)
>> users_at_[hidden]
> Hi Terry
> We are also looking for this holy grail.
> So far I found this 2008 reference to a certain
> "Open Tool for Parameter Optimization (OTPO)":
> OTPO defines itself as this:
> "OTPO systematically tests large numbers of combinations of Open MPI’s
> run-time tunable parameters for common communication patterns and
> performance metrics to determine the “best” set for a given platform."
> However, I couldn't find any reference to the actual code or scripts,
> and whether it is available, tested, free, downloadable, etc.
> At this point I am doing these performance
> tests in a laborious and inefficient manual way,
> when I have the time to do it.
> As some of the aforementioned article authors
> are list subscribers (and OpenMPI developers),
> maybe they can shed some light about OTPO, tuned collective
> optimization, OpenMPI runtime parameter optimization, etc.
> IMHO, this topic deserves at least a FAQ.
> Developers, Jeff: Any suggestions? :)
> Many thanks,
> Gus Correa

John Casu,
Chiral Dynamics, Inc
15525 Upper Ellen Road, Los Gatos, CA 95033.
Phone:  (831) 840 0142