Subject: Re: [OMPI users] Open MPI and env. variables (LD_LIBRARY_PATH and PATH) - complete and utter Open MPI / Linux noob
From: Jeff Squyres (jsquyres_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-08-06 14:06:32

Sorry for not replying earlier -- travel to the MPI Forum last week
put me waaaay behind on my INBOX. :-(

I don't think you want to "printenv > ~/.ssh/environment" -- you don't/
can't know for sure that the remote environment should be exactly the
same as your local environment.

Instead, you might want to use OMPI's built-in "set the PATH /
LD_LIBRARY_PATH remotely" functionality. Use the full path name to
mpirun, like:

/opt/openmpi/bin/mpirun ...

And that should tell mpirun to set the PATH and LD_LIBRARY_PATH
remotely. Note that this functionality assumes that Open MPI is
installed in exactly the same filesystem location on the node where
mpirun is invoked and the back-end compute nodes.

FWIW, you can also use the --prefix argument to mpirun; the "/opt/
openmpi/bin/mpirun ..." behavior is a shortcut for that same behavior
(we emulated the idea of using the full pathname to mpirun from HP MPI).

Additionally, you can force Open MPI to use the --prefix behavior by
default if you configure/build Open MPI with the --enable-mpirun-
prefix-by-default configure switch.

Hope that helps!