Subject: Re: [OMPI users] fault tolerance in open mpi
From: Josh Hursey (jjhursey_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-08-03 11:07:53

Task-farm or manager/worker recovery models typically depend on
intercommunicators (i.e., from MPI_Comm_spawn) and a resilient MPI
implementation. William Gropp and Ewing Lusk have a paper entitled
"Fault Tolerance in MPI Programs" that outlines how an application
might take advantage of these features in order to recover from
process failure.

However, these techniques strongly depend upon resilient MPI
implementations, and behaviors that, some may argue, are non-standard.
Unfortunately there are not many MPI implementations that are
sufficiently resilient in the face of process failure to support
failure in task-farm scenarios. Though Open MPI supports the current
MPI 2.1 standard, it is not as resilient to process failure as it
could be.

There are a number of people working on improving the resiliency of
Open MPI in the face of network and process failure (including
myself). We have started to move some of the resiliency work into the
Open MPI trunk. Resiliency in Open MPI has been improving over the
past few months, but I would not assess it as ready quite yet. Most of
the work has focused on the runtime level (ORTE), and there are still
some MPI level (OMPI) issues that need to be worked out.

With all of that being said, I would try some of the techniques
presented in the Gropp/Lusk paper in your application. Then test it
with Open MPI and let us know how it goes.

Best,
Josh