Subject: Re: [OMPI users] Open MPI and env. variables (LD_LIBRARY_PATH and PATH) - complete and utter Open MPI / Linux noob
From: Tomislav Maric (tomislav.maric_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-08-02 10:58:57

Dominik Táborský wrote:
> Hi,
>
> This is it:
>> slax_at_master$ ssh node1 'echo $PATH'
>>
>> gives me the reduced path on the slave node.
>
> I'm sorry, I was wrong. You typed it correctly. AFAIK, this command logs
> in your node but the PATH variable is still just as on your master. I
> had this issue and I solved it by editing the .bashrc file on the
> master, NOT the node. That worked for me. Try editing the PATH and
> LD_LIBRARY_PATH on the master, on the computer you run the mpirun
> command.
>
> So, for example, if you have on the nodes the MPI installation
> in /openMPI/, with subfolders "bin" and "lib", try putting these lines
> into your .bashrc file on the master:
> export PATH=$PATH:/openMPI/bin
> export LD_RUN_FLAG=$LD_LIBRARY_PATH:/openMPI/lib
>
> It shouldn't matter where is your MPI installation on the master. The
> nodes matter!
>
> Note: I am a openMPI beginner, I am not involved in development, I'm
> just sharing my experience on the same problem and how I solved it. No
> guarantee...

I'm really gratefull for your help!

I tried leaving only .bashrc at the master node and I have set the
variables as you have suggested, but nothing changed.

I've even read again in the man pages about ssh invoked bash, and it
realy reads and executes/etc/bash.bashrc file and ~/.bashrc - which
ever comes first. I've added echo commands to .bashrc on the master, but
nothing is echoed, and

ssh node1 'echo $PATH'

gives the reduced path again. I'm frustrated. I'm a step away from
running OpenFOAM on a LAN over a LiveDVD... :(