Subject: Re: [OMPI users] MPI and C++ (Boost)
From: Raymond Wan (r.wan_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-07-07 03:00:49

Hi Luis,

Luis Vitorio Cargnini wrote:
> Your suggestion is a great and interesting idea. I only have the fear to
> get used to the Boost and could not get rid of Boost anymore, because
> one thing is sure the abstraction added by Boost is impressive, it turn

I should add that I fully understand what it is you are saying and despite all
the good things there were being said about Boost, I was avoiding it for a very
long time because of the dependency issue. For two reasons -- the dependency
issue for myself (exactly like what you said) and distributing it means users
will have to do an extra step (regardless of how easy/hard the step is, it's an
extra step).

I finally switched over :-) and the "prototype" idea was just a way to ease you
into it. MPI programs are hard to get right, and Boost aside, it is a good idea
to have something working that is easy to do and then you can remove the parts
that you don't like later.

By the way, it seems that less-used parts of MPI do not have equivalents in
Boost.MPI, so just using Boost won't solve all of your problems. There is a
list here (the table with the entries that say "unsupported"):

http://www.boost.org/doc/libs/1_39_0/doc/html/mpi/tutorial.html#mpi.c_mapping

Good luck!

Ray