Subject: Re: [OMPI users] MPI and C++ - now Send and Receive of Classes and STL containers
From: Robert Kubrick (robertkubrick_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-07-05 21:04:49

Regardless of MPI, when sending C++ object over the network you have
to serialize their contents. The structures, or classes, have to be
coded to a stream of bytes, sent over the network, then recoded into
their complex object types by the receiving application. There is no
way to send object instances in their original memory format because
the object layout is dependent on the machine/memory/compiler (plus a
number of other things, I'm simplifying here).

boost offers a library to easy the serialization work, but you still
have to provide hooks to convert the object to a network format.

http://www.boost.org/doc/libs/1_39_0/libs/serialization/doc/index.html