Subject: Re: [OMPI users] MPI and C++
From: Jeff Squyres (jsquyres_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-07-04 08:24:33

On Jul 3, 2009, at 7:42 PM, Dorian Krause wrote:

> I would discourage you to use the C++ bindings, since (to my
> knowledge)
> they might be removed from MPI 3.0 (there is such a proposal).

There is a proposal that has passed one vote so far to deprecate the C+
+ bindings in MPI-2.2 (meaning: still have them, but advise against
using them). This opens the door for potentially removing the C++
bindings in MPI-3.0.

As has been mentioned on this thread already, the official MPI C++
bindings are fairly simplistic -- they take advantage of a few
language features, but not a lot. They are effectively a 1-to-1
mapping to the C bindings. The Boost.MPI library added quite a few
nice C++-friendly abstractions on top of MPI. But if Boost is
unattractive for you, then your best bet is probably just to use the C
bindings.

Cisco Systems