Subject: Re: [OMPI users] Multiple mpiexec's within a job (schedule within a scheduled machinefile/job allocation)
From: Ralph Castain (rhc_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-07-29 18:19:28

Oh my - that does take me back a long way! :-)

Do you need these processes to be mapped byslot (i.e., do you care if
the process ranks are sharing nodes)? If not, why not add "-bynode" to
your cmd line?

Alternatively, given the mapping you want, just do

mpirun -npernode 1 application.exe

This would launch one copy on each of your N nodes. So if you fork M
times, you'll wind up with the exact pattern you wanted. And, as each
one exits, you could immediately launch a replacement without worrying
about oversubscription.

Does that help?
Ralph

PS. we dropped that "persistent" operation - caused way too many
problems with cleanup and other things. :-)