Subject: Re: [OMPI users] [Open MPI Announce] Open MPI v1.3.3 released
From: Jeff Squyres (jsquyres_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-07-23 07:41:43

On Jul 23, 2009, at 6:39 AM, Dave Love wrote:

> > The MPI ABI has not changed since 1.3.2.
>
> Good, thanks. I hadn't had time to investigate the items in the
> release
> notes that looked suspicious. Are there actually any known ABI
> incompatibilities between 1.3.0 and 1.3.2? We haven't noticed any as
> far as I know.

It *might* work? To be honest, I would be surprised, though -- it may
fail in subtle, non-obvious ways (i.e., during execution, not startup/
linking). We made some changes in 1.3.2 in order to freeze the ABI
for the future that *probably* have disruptive effects in seamlessly
working with prior versions (there were some strange technical issues
involving OMPI's use of pointers for MPI handles -- I can explain more
if you care).

FWIW: the changes we made were in the back-end/internals of libmpi;
source-code compatibility has been maintained since MPI-1.0 (aside
from a handful of bugs in the MPI API that we have fixed over time --
e.g., a wrong parameter type in an MPI API function, etc.).