Subject: Re: [OMPI users] Some Newbie questions
From: vipin kumar (vipinkumar41_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-06-29 00:44:59

Hi,
I am not expert, I am user like you but I think I can help you,

Q. After installing OpenMPI on each machine ,do i need to run a
service/daemon on each machine?
Ans. No, not at all, Open MPI takes care of that for you.

Q. How does peers in MPI environment communicate ?
Ans. Using Communicator(name of the group of processes to whom it belongs,
technically handle) and rank of the process in that Communicator.

Q. After implementing parallel program , do I have to install the
application on every machine ?
Ans. Not necessary. Use "--preload-binary" option while launching the
application through mpirun or mpiexec.

Useful links:
1. http://www.open-mpi.org/faq/?category=running#simple-spmd-run
2. http://www.open-mpi.org/faq/
3. man page for mpirun

Regards,
Vipin K.

On Mon, Jun 29, 2009 at 8:21 AM, Ashika Umanga Umagiliya <
aumanga_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> Greeting all,
>
> I am new to Open MPI and I have some newbie questions. I have given 4
> machines at our laboratory to set up Open MPI.Our net work is simply
> TCP/Ethernet running Debian Linux.
>
> 1) After installing OpenMPI on each machine ,do i need to run a
> service/daemon on each machine? (How does peers in MPI environment
> communicate ?)
>
> 2) After implementing parallel program , do I have to install the
> application on every machine ? (I thought the program automatically
> propagated to other peers , like in RMI applications? )
>

> Thanks in advance,
> Umanga

Vipin K.
Research Engineer,