Subject: Re: [OMPI users] Infiniband requirements
From: Gus Correa (gus_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-06-25 18:32:32

Hi Jim, list

1) Your first question:

I opened a thread on this list two months or so ago about a similar
situation: when OpenMPI would use/not use libnuma.
I asked a question very similar to your question about IB support,
and how the configure script would provide it or not.
Jeff answerer it, and I asked him to post the answer in the FAQ,
which he kindly did (or an edited version of it):

The wisdom is that OpenMPI will search for IB on standard places,
and will use it if it finds it.
If you don't have IB on a standard place, then you can use the
switch --with-openib=/dir to force IB to be part of your OpenMPI.
If I understood it right, the bottom line is that you
only don't get IB if it is hidden, or doesn't exist.

2) Your second question:

As for the --enable-static question, I don't know the answer.
I defer this one to the OpenMPI developers.
I confess I have no explanation for why "-lrdmacm -libverbs"
are listed amongst the "Wrapper extra LIBS" when OpenMPI is configured
with --enable-static, but those IB library flags are absent
when --enable-static is not used.
(Maybe because the dynamic linker does a smarter search.)

I hope this helps,
Gus Correa
Gustavo Correa
Palisades, NY, 10964-8000 - USA