Subject: Re: [OMPI users] Pb in configure script when using ifort with "-fast" + link of opal_wrapper
From: Gus Correa (gus_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-06-03 12:53:13

Hi Michel, Jeff, Rainer, list

I have AMD Opteron Shanghai, and Intel 10.1017.
I had trouble with the Intel -fast flag also.

According to the ifort man page/help:
-fast = -xT -O3 -ipo -no-prec-div -static
(Each compiler vendor has a different -fast, PGI is another thing.)

Intel doesn't allow SSE-type optimization beyond W (SSE+SSE2)
for AMD processors (an old and contentious issue,
Google it form more info).
So, I changed -xT to -xW (the highest level allowed,
also recommended by AMD).

I had trouble with ipo before (missing symbols during link),
so I reduced it to ip.

Moreover, -static definitely cannot work with the Infiniband
and other tons of shared libraries, of course,
hence I simply removed it.
However, as suggested by Rainer,
-static-intel may be OK,
if all you want is to avoid sending the Intel LD_LIBRARY_PATH with your
mpiexec command.
(I haven't tried it, though.)

The flags became: -xW -O3 -ip -no-prec-div

I used the same flags for ifort (FFLAGS, FCFLAGS), icc (CFLAGS)
and icpc (CXXFLAGS),to build OpenMPI 1.3.2, and it works.
For "Genuine Intel" processors you can upgrade -xW to whatever is
appropriate.

My $0.02.

Gus Correa
Gustavo Correa