Subject: Re: [OMPI users] top question
From: Eugene Loh (Eugene.Loh_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-06-03 11:07:21

tsilva_at_[hidden] wrote:

> Thanks for the explanation. I am using GigEth + Open MPI and the
> buffered MPI_BSend. I had already noticed that top behaved
> differently on another cluster with Infinibandb + MPICH.
>
> So the only option to find out how much time each process is waiting
> around seems to be to profile the code. Will gprof show me anything
> useful or will I have to use a more sophisticated (any free ones?)
> parallel profiler?

Another frequently asked question! I can try to add a FAQ
entry/category. There are a number of free options including

TAU http://www.cs.uoregon.edu/research/tau/home.php
mpiP http://mpip.sourceforge.net/
FPMPI http://www.mcs.anl.gov/research/projects/fpmpi/WWW/index.html
IPM http://ipm-hpc.sourceforge.net/
Sun Studio http://developers.sun.com/sunstudio/

The only one I've really used is Sun Studio.

Jumpshot *might* work with Open MPI, I forget. Or, it might be more an
MPICH tool.