Subject: Re: [OMPI users] Slightly off topic: Ethernet and InfiniBand speedevolution
From: Robert Kubrick (robertkubrick_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-05-05 16:13:08

It is indeed surprisingly hard to draw a simple timeline for ethernet
speed evolution. Network throughput is relative to the medium (fiber
optic, coaxial, twisted pair...), distance (LAN, switch, WAN), number
of channels (half duplex, full duplex), level of commercialization
(research, production, commodity....). All these factors contributed
to different ethernet NIC speeds during the same decade or even year.

My goal was to compare network performances evolution vs CPU
frequency advance in the past and for the next 10 years. It is a lot
easier to show x86 CPU frequency changes on a time chart.