Subject: Re: [OMPI users] Slightly off topic: Ethernet and InfiniBand speedevolution
From: Jeff Squyres (jsquyres_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-05-05 14:47:24

On May 5, 2009, at 1:59 PM, Robert Kubrick wrote:

> I am preparing a presentation where I will discuss commodity
> interconnects and the evolution of Ethernet and Infiniband NICs. The
> idea is to show the advance in network interfaces speed over time on
> a chart. So far I have collected the following *approximative* data
> for Ethernet:
>
> 1990 --> 100Mbits/s
> 2000 --> 1Gbits/s
> 2010 --> 10Gbits/s
> 2020 --> 100Gbits/s

FWIW, your ethernet timeline might be a little too long. I could
swear I read an internet trade rag recently that was anticipating pre-
standard 40Gbps ethernet equipment by the end of 2010 (similar to how
you can buy pre-standard 802.11n equipment from a variety of vendors
now). My *guess* is that 100Gbps will follow much less than 10 years
later because there are already carriers today who need/want/would buy
it.

(note: that's totally a guess -- don't read anything into into based
on my email address; I'm in the unified computing/server group at
Cisco -- nowhere near related to the 40/100Gbps groups)

Cisco Systems