Subject: Re: [OMPI users] Problem with running openMPI program
From: Jeff Squyres (jsquyres_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-04-28 15:14:58

On Apr 28, 2009, at 1:29 PM, Ankush Kaul wrote:

> I would like to know one more thing, what are real life applications
> that i can use the cluster for (except mathematical computation)?
> Can i use if for my web server, if yes then how?

Not really. MPI is just about message passing -- it's frequently used
for parallel computations, but it's main purpose in life is message
passing. Hence, applications have to explicitly be written to use
MPI's API. Apache doesn't utilize MPI for communication; there are
other features for clustering web servers, etc.

Cisco Systems