Subject: Re: [OMPI users] MPI_Bcast from OpenMPI
From: Jeff Squyres (jsquyres_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-04-23 07:23:52

Very strange; 6 seconds for a 1MB broadcast over 64 processes is *way*
too long. Even 2.5 sec at 2MB seems too long -- what is your network
speed? I'm not entirely sure what you mean by "4 link" on your graph.

Without more information, I would first check your hardware setup to
see if there's some kind of network buffering / congestion issue
occurring. Here's a total guess: your ethernet switch(es) are low
quality (from an HPC perspective, at least) such that you're incurring
congestion and/or retransmission at that size for some reason.

You could also be running up against memory bus congestion (I assume
you mean 4 cores per node; are they NUMA or UMA?). But that wouldn't
account for the huge spike at 1MB.

On Apr 23, 2009, at 1:32 AM, shan axida wrote:

> Hi,
> One more question:
> I have executed the MPI_Bcast() in 64 processes in 16 nodes Ethernet
> multiple links cluster.
> The result is shown in the file attached on this E-mail.
> What is going on at 131072 double message size?
> I have executed it many times but the result is still the same.
>
> THANK YOU!

Cisco Systems