Subject: Re: [OMPI users] SHARED Memory----------------
From: Eugene Loh (Eugene.Loh_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-04-23 00:20:05

Just to clarify (since "send to self" strikes me as confusing)...

If you're talking about using shared memory for point-to-point MPI message passing, OMPI typically uses it automatically between two processes on the same node.  It is *not* used for a process sending to itself.  There is a well-written FAQ (in my arrogant opinion!) at http://www.open-mpi.org/faq/?category=sm -- e.g., http://www.open-mpi.org/faq/?category=sm#sm-btl .

If you're talking about some other use of shared memory, let us know what you had in mind.

Elvedin Trnjanin wrote:
Shared memory is used for send-to-self scenarios such as if you're making use of multiple slots on the same machine.

shan axida wrote:
Any body know how to make use of shared memory in OpenMPI implementation?