Subject: Re: [OMPI users] Problem with running openMPI program
From: Gus Correa (gus_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-04-06 11:57:35

Hi Ankush

If I remember right,
mpirun will put you on your home directory, not on /tmp,
when it starts your ssh session.
To run on /tmp (or on /mnt/nfs)
you may need to use "-path" option.

Likewise, you may want to give mpirun a list of hosts (-host option)
or a hostfile (-hostfile option), to specify where you want the
program to run.

Do
"/full/path/to/openmpi/mpriun -help"
for details.

Make sure your NFS export/mount of /tmp is working,
say, by doing:

ssh slave_node 'hostname; ls /tmp; ls /mnt/nfs'

or similar, and see if your program "pi" is really there (and where).

Actually, it may be confusing to export /tmp, as it is part
of the basic Linux directory tree,
which is the reason why you mounted it on /mnt/nfs.
You may want to choose to export/mount
a directory that is not so generic as /tmp,
so that you can use a consistent name on both computers.
For instance, you can create a /my_export or /work directory
(or whatever name you prefer) on the master node,
export it to the slave node, mount it on the slave node
with the same name/mountpoint, and use it for your MPI work.

I hope this helps.
Gus Correa
Gustavo Correa
Palisades, NY, 10964-8000 - USA