Open MPI logo

Open MPI User's Mailing List Archives

  |   Home   |   Support   |   FAQ   |  

This web mail archive is frozen.

This page is part of a frozen web archive of this mailing list.

You can still navigate around this archive, but know that no new mails have been added to it since July of 2016.

Click here to be taken to the new web archives of this list; it includes all the mails that are in this frozen archive plus all new mails that have been sent to the list since it was migrated to the new archives.

Subject: Re: [OMPI users] Linux opteron infiniband sunstudio configure, problem
From: Kevin McManus (k.mcmanus_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-03-31 17:25:35


On Tue, Mar 31, 2009 at 04:59:00PM -0400, Jeff Squyres wrote:
> My goal in having you try that statement in a standalone shell script
> wasn't the success or failure of the uname command -- but rather to
> figure out if something in that statement itself was causing the
> syntax error.
>
> Apparently it is not. There's an errant character elsewhere that is
> causing the problem. FWIW, you should be able to run ./config/
> config.guess by itself and get a single line of output with no errors
> -- so you don't even have to test this in the larger context of Open
> MPI's configure process. As you showed in an earlier mail, even that
> doesn't work.
>
> We get config.guess from git.savannah.gnu.org when we make OMPI
> tarballs. FWIW, here's the md5 and sha1sums from the config.guess
> that I got from a 1.3.1 tarball:
>
> 13:57] svbu-mpi:/home/jsquyres/openmpi-1.3.1 % md5sum config/
> config.guess
> 6384bbc496ef6e69328a9a428c623cc5 config/config.guess
> [13:58] svbu-mpi:/home/jsquyres/openmpi-1.3.1 % sha1sum config/
> config.guess
> 199adb16fc94e6cf62912be5fbb69a77214b33e5 config/config.guess
>
> I would be pretty surprised if yours don't match. If they don't
> there's some larger issue going on (e.g., filesystem corruption?) that
> would also be pretty surprising.

BINGO!!

mine don't match but I have openmpi-1.3 not openmpi-1.3.1
just downloaded a fresh copy
checked md5 and sha1 match
run my build.sh without x86_64 - hurrah

#!/bin/sh

../configure \
        CC=cc CXX=CC F77=f77 FC=f90 \
        CFLAGS=-m64 CXXFLAGS=-m64 FFLAGS=-m64 FCFLAGS=-m64 \
        --enable-static \
        --enable-orterun-prefix-by-default \
        --enable-mpi-f90 \
        --disable-mpi-threads \
        --with-psm \
        --with-psm-libdir=/usr/lib64

This runs until I get to...

--- MCA component mtl:psm (m4 configuration macro)
checking for MCA component mtl:psm compile mode... static
checking --with-psm value... simple ok (unspecified)
checking --with-psm-libdir value... sanity check ok (/usr/lib64)
checking psm.h usability... no
checking psm.h presence... no
checking for psm.h... no
configure: error: PSM support requested but not found. Aborting

Which is an entirely different problem

The lesson here seems to be that when things just don't make sense
there has to be a corruption someplace.
This is not the first time this week that I have seen undetected
bit level errors.
Now kicking myself for not checking the md5s earlier.

Time for me to pursue the psm installs
Start by trawling the archives and FAQs :-)

I think we should consider this thread closed
Many thanks to all who contributed.

k.mcmanus_at_[hidden] - http://staffweb.cms.gre.ac.uk/~k.mcmanus
--------------------------------------------------------------
Dr Kevin McManus Queen Mary 413
School of Computing & Mathematical Sciences,
University of Greenwich,
Old Royal Naval College,
Park Row, Greenwich, Tel +44 (0)208 331 8719
London, SE10 9LS Fax +44 (0)208 331 8665
--------------------------------------------------------------

University of Greenwich, a charity and company limited by
guarantee, registered in England (reg no. 986729)
Registered Office: Old Royal Naval College