Subject: Re: [OMPI users] 'orte_ess_base_select failed'
From: Jeff Squyres (jsquyres_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-03-27 21:40:14

Hmm -- puzzling -- the error file you sent shows the following:

bash: /opt/openmpi/orted: No such file or directory

But that shouldn't happen; according to your config.log, you installed
with a prefix of /opt/openmpi, so Open MPI should be looking for orted
in /opt/openmpi/bin/orted.

You said that the command was

> command = mpirun --hostfile hostfile -np 2 echo `uname -a`

Is there any chance that you ran with mpirun's absolute filename, such
as:

/opt/openmpi/bin/mpirun --hostfile hostfile -np 2 echo `uname -a`

Or do you have any aliases involved? I can't imagine how you're
getting that error message -- Open MPI should never use a full path
name for orted unless you specified --prefix on the mpirun command
line (which you didn't), or youused a full path name for mpirun (which
it looks like you didn't, and even if you did use /opt/openmpi/bin/
mpirun, it should use that path to look for /opt/openmpi/bin/orted on
the other node). Otherwise, Open MPI relies on the PATH set in your
shell startup files on remote nodes to find the orted.

This is very odd -- can you look at the exact command that is being
executed on the remote node?

On Mar 27, 2009, at 12:24 PM, Russell McQueeney wrote:

> command = mpirun --hostfile hostfile -np 2 echo `uname -a`
> PATH = ...:/opt/openmpi/bin
> LD_LIBRARY_PATH = /opt/openmpi/lib
> no MCA parameters used
>
> I set up the default shell to bash, and put some echo's
> in .bash_profile
> and .bashrc, and when i run the mpirun command, i see those echoes,
> but
> then it stops, and the job is never completed
>
> Ralph Castain wrote:
> > Could you please send the info shown here:
> >
> > http://www.open-mpi.org/community/help/
> >
> > If the ess is failing, then we don't recognize the environment.
> > Probably an issue with how it is configured vs being run.
> >
> > Thanks
> > Ralph
> >
> > On Mar 26, 2009, at 3:42 PM, Russell McQueeney wrote:
> >
> >> I installed OpenMPI 1.3.1, and whenever I or mpirun try to start
> >> orted on any of the machines, it shows that message, and
> >> --> Returned value Not found (-13) instead of ORTE-SUCCESS
> >> Is there anything obvious that I missed?
> >> My machines are Intel x86-32, running fedora (10 and 2)

> <
> config
> .log
> .bz2><ompi_info.bz2><orted_errors.bz2><ifconfig.bz2><ATT7963694.txt>

Cisco Systems