Subject: Re: [OMPI users] mpirun hangs when launching job on remote node
From: Bogdan Costescu (Bogdan.Costescu_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-03-18 05:15:24

On Wed, 18 Mar 2009, Raymond Wan wrote:

> Perhaps it has something to do with RH's defaults for the firewall settings?

If your sysadmin uses kickstart to configure the systems, (s)he has to
add 'firewall --disabled'; similar for SELinux which seems to have
caused problems to another person on this list. OTOH, if (s)he blindly
copied the config for a workstation to a cluster node, maybe some more
education is needed first...

> Another system that worked "immediately" was a Debian system.

That's because Debian doesn't configure a firewall or SELinux, leaving
the admin the responsability to do it.

> Anyway, if you find out a solution that doesn't require the firewall
> to be turned off, please let me know -- I think our sysadmin would
> be interested, too.

Depending on your definition of 'firewall turned off', the new feature
of restricting ports used by OpenMPI will help. The firewall can stay
on, but it should be configured to open a range of ports used by
OpenMPI.

--
Bogdan Costescu
IWR, University of Heidelberg, INF 368, D-69120 Heidelberg, Germany