Subject: Re: [OMPI users] Compiling ompi for use on another machine
From: Jeff Squyres (jsquyres_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-03-16 15:30:12

On Mar 14, 2009, at 12:28 PM, ben rodriguez wrote:

> Both machines are x86_64, although one is a single quad core and the
> other is a dual quad core, the RH installs are the same. ompi and
> the other program were both statically linked. After the compiles I
> copied the target dirs to the new machine and hoped they would run,
> the program I wish to run passes all its self tests except the
> parallel ones. One thing is that there is a previous install of opmi
> on the machine, ideally I woulkd like to keep that installed as it
> runs with other stuff. The reason I am doing this is because I have
> the optimized compiler installed on only one machine. I will try np
> -1.

Try running simple apps in parallel first, such as the "hello" and
"ring" programs in the examples/ directory in Open MPI. You should be
able to compile statically and run across multiple nodes, even if
there are multiple Open MPI installs on each machine (I do it all the
time).

Make sure that the support libraries for your optimized compiler are
available on all nodes. Those are not usually node-locked; so you
should be able to install those everywhere.

Cisco Systems