Subject: Re: [OMPI users] Upgrade from Open MPI 1.2 to 1.3
From: Jeff Squyres (jsquyres_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-03-10 15:50:40

Unfortunately, binary compatibility between Open MPI release versions
has never been guaranteed (even between subreleases).

That being said, we have fixed this issue and expect to support binary
compatibility between Open MPI releases starting with v1.3.2 (v1.3.1
should be released soon; we're aiming for v1.3.2 towards the beginning
of next month).

On Mar 10, 2009, at 11:59 AM, Serge wrote:

> Hello,
>
> We have a number of applications built with Open MPI 1.2 in a shared
> multi-user environment. The Open MPI library upgrade has been always
> transparent and painless within the v1.2 branch. Now we would like to
> switch to Open MPI 1.3 as seamlessly. However, an application built
> with
> ompi v1.2 will not run with the 1.3 library; the typical error
> messages
> are given below. Apparently, the type ompi_communicator_t has changed.
>
> Symbol `ompi_mpi_comm_null' has different size in shared object,
> consider re-linking
> Symbol `ompi_mpi_comm_world' has different size in shared object,
> consider re-linking
>
> Do I have to rebuild all the applications with Open MPI 1.3?
>
> Is there a better way to do a smooth upgrade?
>
> Thank you.
>
> = Serge

Cisco Systems