Subject: Re: [OMPI users] Any scientific application heavilyusing MPI_Barrier?
From: Joe Landman (landman_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-03-05 11:24:37

Ralph Castain wrote:

> Ummm....not to put gasoline on the fire, but...if the data exchange is
> blocking, why do you need to call a barrier op first? Just use an
> appropriate blocking data exchange call (collective or whatever) and it
> will "barrier" anyway.

Since I don't run these codes, I would have to defer to those that do.

This said, I am not sure if they are running the coupling as two
separate MPI codes or as one code sharing a communications handle or
whatnot else.

I do agree that letting the data exchange provide a (natural) barrier
makes a great deal of sense, though the codes may not be amenable to
this mode of operations. Gerry could likely shed light on this.

Joseph Landman, Ph.D
Founder and CEO
Scalable Informatics LLC,
email: landman_at_[hidden]