Subject: Re: [OMPI users] libnuma under ompi 1.3
From: Joshua Bernstein (jbernstein_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-03-04 14:54:34

Terry Frankcombe wrote:
> Having just downloaded and installed Open MPI 1.3 with ifort and gcc, I
> merrily went off to compile my application.
>
> In my final link with mpif90 I get the error:
>
> /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lnuma
>
> Adding --showme reveals that
>
> -I/home/terry/bin/Local/include -pthread -I/home/terry/bin/Local/lib
>
> is added to the compile early in the aggregated ifort command, and
>
> -L/home/terry/bin/Local/lib -lmpi_f90 -lmpi_f77 -lmpi -lopen-rte
> -lopen-pal -lpbs -lnuma -ldl -Wl,--export-dynamic -lnsl -lutil -lm -ldl
>
> is added to the end.
>
> I note than when compiling Open MPI -lnuma was visible in the gcc
> arguments, with no added -L.
>
> On this system libnuma.so exists in /usr/lib64. My (somewhat long!)
> configure command was

You shouldn't have to. The runtime loader should look inside of /usr/lib64 by
itself. Unless of course, you've built either your application or OpenMPI using
a 32-bit Intel complier instead (say fc instead of fce). In that case the
runtime loader would look inside of /usr/lib to find libnuma, rather then
/usr/lib64.

Are you sure you are using the 64-bit version of the Intel compilier? If you
intend to use the 32-bit version of the compilier, and OpenMPI is 32-bits you
may just need to install the numactl.i386 and numactl.x86_64 RPMS.

-Joshua Bernstein
Senior Software Engineer
Penguin Computing